Follow me to the new location. I look forward to helping you create the blog you envision Katherines Corner

Thursday

Blog Hop Getting Started and What Is A Blog Hop

A blog hop is a link up list that invites other bloggers to introduce themselves and broaden their online community.It introduces others to your blog while providing a link up list for other blogs to join .

Hops are linked to the Blog Hop’s page (this is important) don’t link it to your blog’s home page. Remember you must set it up first and then use the hop’s page perma link to create the button html.

Participants are encouraged to add their blog name and url ( blog address) to the list ,then hop( click on other blog names on the list) around and visit/ meet as many new friends as possible! Encourage your hop participants to leave a comment if they link up. So you can be sure to follow them too.

Remember to leave a comment when you hop over also. Let the blog you visit know that you have hopped over from “ blog hop name” to visit.

Promote your hop with partners ( if you have partners posting the hop on their blogs be sure to ask your participants to follow them also) and online social media like twitter and facebook.

Decide if you will be hopping on a specific day of the week, on the weekend, or once a month, etc. So your participants will know to keep coming back.

It’s nice to decide on a hop theme. Will you be sharing crafts, recipes, giveaways, or just blog hopping for new friends? Any theme is great and helps to identify your specific hop from others.

Create a hop button with an html code for copying; Made It For You can help with that!

Select a “linky” provider ( the form that creates your blog hop link up list). That is the host site where you will create your list for people to participate. The most commonly used are www.linkytools.com, www.inlinkz.com and www.blenza.com/linkies. You will need to set up an account to use these services. There may be a small fee, some charge for their service and some don’t.

Establish your rules. You do not need to have a bunch of rules but you should have at least one-participants who link up must follow the hop host/hostess blog.

It’s up to you if you want any other rules. Like no advertising, or blogs that link up must fit the theme, must follow on twitter, etc. Encourage your hop participants to post your hop button ( they will copy it from the html code (I personally do not feel this should be mandatory but it is a nice option.)

Some blog hop host/hostesses even pick a random blog from the hop link up list and award a giveaway prize through a random drawing. The prize can be a post about the blog selected, or something tangible. You decide if you want to offer a giveaway, this may be something to consider after you have a few hops under your belt.

There are some wonderful hops out there. I have a list on my personal blog and a few here on the sidebar too.

So what do you think? Are you ready to start hopping? If you're still uncertain. Ask me a question in the comments.



Madeitforyou.com

11 comments:

  1. All of what you just posted might seem so easy to you my friend but it went right over my head. Sorry but I am slow in the design and new thing area.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie, just ask, I'll help. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Blog! I’m a new follower Happy Wednesday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
    http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from the Catch A Wave Wednesday Blog hop! I'd love for you to follow back!

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good tips there, so thank you for that! I really must get involved in more blog hops, although I have joined in several weekend ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love linky parties. Great post about it !
    Come follow me also and say hi !
    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it will be fun. If I can't participate I will try to visit the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tips! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips!

    Thank you so much for joining our I Love Blogging blog hop this week! I am following your beautiful blog :) I hope you have time to stop by www.mooseandtater.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! I'm actually starting a new Tuesday blog hop soon. Mind if I link to your post as a blog hop FAQ?

    Following from Lucas' Journey Weekend Social!

    ~Jodi
    www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school

    ReplyDelete